Yeah I did that also with this same transmission about 3 years ago when I first took it out of an SD that had been sitting in a junkyard for about 4 years. It was slipping real bad in all the gears. After the Lucas and about 100 miles of driving it started to get better to the point where finally after a year of easy driving it didn't slip any more at all. Then just this last summer the problem with sometimes not going all the way to first at a stop when it got hot. It always had the whine in high gear which was cut I would say in half with the addition of the Zmax.

Lucas promises to make the seals pliable again and so improve the shifting. Zmax on the other hand doesn't do anything for the seals just treats the metal bearing and gear surfaces. It probably also will improve the valvebody shifting movement.

Manfred

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:33:15 +0000 (UTC)
From: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>

My '96 Dakota had a spell where it wouldn't shift up from first, I put a quart of the Lucas transmission fixer stuff in there and after running it around a little and letting it sit overnight it got better enough to be driveable (run up the rpms, drop into neutral, back to drive and it would shift). After a couple days of driving it was mostly back to normal. I had the trans fluid changed with M1 and it was fine for another 50,000 miles or so until I got rid of the truck. My theory is the valves get varnish or crud on them and don't work right, some high detergent mystery goop gets the crud off and can restore operation.
That said I still prefer a manual trans.
-Curtwith only 1 of 3 vehicles possessing a manual trans.