I am sure you're right about how bad people will allow their cars to deteriorate and still drive them but I think we need to put the pressure on our citizens to grow up and maintain their cars if they want to drive at the speeds others find acceptable. IMO it's like the Nanny state run amok that pervades our lives in so many ways.

BTW, a few years ago Road & Track magazine ran a test (or at least wrote about one conducted at a university) where people were put in cars with the speedo covered up & allowed to drive for X distance to see what speed they would feel most comfortable driving. After they acclimated to their speed, the majority of people drove at 100mph +/- 10mph. That impressed me and I have remembered it for more than 40 years. I think it was an article about radar and how it was used by police.

Anyway, there have been suggestions in the past for people to have colored license plates or other markings to indicate their level of driving ability & experience - and could also be used to indicate drivers (or their cars) that had been convicted of driving drunk/high/texting,

And yes I realize that would escalate the Nanny state I am so much against. But who's listening to me? ;-)

LarryT
91 300D
78 240D