On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM, OK Don via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> I copy (via automatic program) all changes to the folders I'm interested in
> (photos, documents, music, etc.) from the primary disk to a second disk in
> the PC, then again to an external disk. and on one of our PCs, to a second
> external disk.. Very cheap and simple, it all happens when I'm asleep, and
> I have three or four copies of everything. when one disk dies, I just
> replace it, and it gets auto brought up to date. I fought with SANs, NASs,
> and RAID at work for years, didn't want to mess with it at home.

I used to do something similar, but recent viruses have taken to destroying
files in all online storage devices (then charging a bitcoin ransom for the
recovery key, which may or may not work).  I have thought about investing
in a tape drive (which is ironic given my employer :) but in practice I
just keep a USB disk offline, and bring it up occasionally to do the
replication.  The problem with rotating storage is that it needs to be
spinning to keep working, so I can't leave it in a drawer and expect it to
work.  There were some good deals on 64G USB sticks last week, but I didn't
buy any since I don't have a good plan for using them.

Anyway, given the state of viruses, I would definitely recommend keeping a
solid-state backup - flash, or DVD, or an offline disk - rather than
depending on a system that uses Windows shares.

To the original post, Synology is a good choice for low power, low noise,
high configurability, reasonable cost and reliability.  If you roll your
own, I have to agree with Dan that FreeNAS is the way to go.  If you are
willing to lose some abilities, many of the 802.11ac routers have USB ports
that will accept a USB drive (or even multiple drives) and expose Windows
and NFS shares.

Merry Christmas to all,
Tim