Did you put a SATA card in it?

Two, in fact.  For whatever reason, SW RAID performance
absolutely stunk when both drives were on the same card.
A second cheapie card, flashed to be Mac-friendly, was
the easiest solution.  I suspect driver problems, but
there's a limit to how much work I want to put in to
save on a $5 card!

The only thing I did not get was the ability to use the
TM GUI on the server itself to restore from its own TM
backups to the shared RAID.  That is due to video card
limitations, and by unwillingness to spend big bucks to
get one of the rare cards that would work.  If I need
to restore, I'll just copy manually from the archive.
It's idiotic that the TM GUI requires high-end animation
support, but it does.  Would have been dirt-simple to
have a slow mode in the app, that maybe ditched the
animated starfield, or whatever it was that drove it
to there in the first place.

I wonder how low you could go with a Raspberry Pi (or Banana Pi if you want more horsepower) and external drive enclosure.

Pretty low, I'd guess.  In my case I already had the
surprisingly low-power Sawtooth, and all the SW was already
there in OSX 10.5, a nearly zero investment in figuring
out how to make it do what I wanted.  (Hosting Time Machine
from all our household Macs, reliably, was an absolute
requirement.)  A Pi-based system would be good, the rotating
disks would be spun down 99% of the time.  But I would have
spent _much_ more time getting it going, and would have needed
something to house and power the disks.  (And the Pi.)
We don't have any exposed Linux machines in the house,
sticking with OSX for everything makes sense.

Another $20 got me another complete Sawtooth off of Craigslist
to serve as a spare, should I have problems.  That's hard to
beat.

No need for an inverter, using 12v should save a fair amount of overhead.

It would, but you still would have to power the disks.  They don't
eat 12V directly.  (Not exclusively, anyhow.)

It's getting to the point where the charge controller is more expensive than the panel.

You don't really need a charge controller if you don't have to maximize
the power transfer from the panel to the battery.  A voltage regulator
would do it!  If a 25% bigger panel covers the inefficiency, and is
cheaper than the controller, well...

-- Jim