On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 07:22:48 -0500 Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Looks like an MOV, or metal oxide varistor.

I agree with Dan.

> Can you read any information on the MOV itself?

He said, "It is marked R270 and below that, CM 56."

> If not, can you tell where it is in the circuit?  Is it on the AC side
> of the transformer, or the low voltage side?

He said, "It is in line from the recently blown fuse to a transformer.
however it's on the AC side of the transformer."

> You don’t have to be dead on with these devices, so once you know wher
> eit goes in the circuit and the voltage applied to it, you can go
> generic and replace it.

Yes. For line-side surge supression, a 270 V rating for a MOV would be on
the high side of what's desirable.

*** Dave, does the fuse blow when the part is not installed? ***

If it does NOT blow, I recommend ordering:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ERZ-E14A221/P15594-ND/3694130
Digi-Key Part Number    P15594-ND
Price Break     Unit Price      Extended Price
    1            0.81000        0.81
Quantity Available      Digi-Key Stock: 2,470 Can ship immediately
Manufacturer    Panasonic Electronic Components
Manufacturer Part Number        ERZ-E14A221
Description     VARISTOR 198V 10KA DISC 16.5MM
Lead Free Status / RoHS Status  Lead free / RoHS Compliant

Craig