Possibly useful random data:

My W115 300D does an odd thing whereby, after preglow, turning the ignition
switch to the start position occasionally has no effect at all on the starter.
No click, nothing.

I think it is the ground path to the ignition switch, because a) it is more
frequent when everything is warm/hot, an b) turning off the the key and waiting
a few seconds, then turning straight through to "start" position usually works.
The longer you wait between stopping glowing and starting again the better the
chances it will work.

Since there's no relationship between glowing and starting on a W115 apart from
the ignition switch (and harness, of course) I suspect the switch.

All of this to say: you could have a switch issue as well. The other thing that
happened on my 300D is the solenoid connection at the starter came loose, with
obvious effect.

Good luck!