> Dan wrote:
>
> I need to set up a Linux system on a laptop so I can run a Linux
> VM, probably VirtualBox.  I'm thinking Ubuntu, but I'm not
> partial to any one particular distro.
>
> This is just for training purposes, nothing long term.  I need it
> to be simple and easy to set up.
>
> Suggestions from the resident Linux geeks?

Pick one.  Any one. *smiles*

Ubuntu is usually easy and is up-to-date.

Debian is usually pretty easy and is dependably stable and safe.

Fedora is usually pretty easy and works well.

http://distrowatch.com/ and
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/
will have a lot more info than I do!!

I happen to like apt, which is the package management tool used in
the debian-derived distributions.