ATTABOY!

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:38 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Love those cheap repairs!

Fixed a bad PSE pump on the 95 S500 today. On the W140 chassis cars there are two pneumatic pumps - one under the right rear seat (PSE) that provides vacuum and pressure for central locking, trunk closing and lumbar supports, and a second one on the left side of the trunk tucked next to the gas tank for the door closing assist system. Both are fairly complex devices in the sense that they provide both pressure and vacuum depending on the requirement, and have automatic shutoffs if a leak occurs or a system can’t be pressurized or “vacuumed”.

Youngest son had advised me about a strange humming sound in the car, which, by the time I was able to see it, the fuse had blown. Coupled with this he advised that the central locking system had stopped working, so these two data points told me it was the PSE pump. Replaced the fuse, but the pump appeared to be dead.

He had finals this past week, so I wasn’t able to get to the car until today.

Having read several threads on BenzWorld’s W140 forum about this, it had been said that there was a vendor who had a limited number of replacement motors for the PSE pumps for sale for $10. These were new motors made by the same OEM supplier to Mercedes - $10 each. I bought one on a whim at the time, thinking it would be cheap insurance if I ever had a PSE pump failure.

Disassembled the PSE pump, and applied 12VDC to the motor. Dead as a doornail.

Unsoldered the leads to the old motor, filed a “D” shape on the shaft of the new motor to match the old one (the replacement motor had a round shaft with splines rather than the “D” shaped shaft), soldered the leads to the new motor and buttoned everything up.

Five minutes later we had central locking, auto trunk closing, trunk handle extension and lumbar supports.

Gosh, I love these cheap DIY repairs. A new PSE pump is serious coin, if you can find one. Coupe versions are even harder to find, as they are unique to the coupe.

All is well now, and youngest son is pleased and happy. And he was with me helping out and observing the whole time.

Dan

All posts are the result of individual contributors and as such, those individuals are responsible for the content of the post. The list owner has no control over the content of the messages of each contributor.