All covered in gory detail in  "Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit
on a Secret Operational Mission
<http://www.amazon.com/Flying-SR-71-Blackbird-Cockpit-Operational-ebook/dp/B004NNUY7O/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419108990&sr=1-5&keywords=sr-71>"
by Richard H. Graham
<http://www.amazon.com/Richard-H.-Graham/e/B001IO9Q8E/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_5?qid=1419108990&sr=1-5>

Amen to that.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Scott Ritchey via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> As shown in the video, pressure recovery at the inlet was critical to
> generating thrust.  If the analog computer burped and misplaced the inlet
> spike, the resulting drop in thrust was dramatic.  This event was called an
> inlet unstart.  The resulting violent yaw motion was the faster than human
> reflexes.  In the early days, the SR yaw autopilot had limited authority
> and
> an unstart produced extremely violent motion at the cockpit (which was way
> forward at the end of a long moment arm).  I believe at least one SR
> disintegrated inflight when the yaw from an unstart exceeded aircraft
> structural limits.  Later in the program, better flight and engine controls
> mitigated the unstart problem.

All covered in gory detail in  "Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit
on a Secret Operational Mission
<http://www.amazon.com/Flying-SR-71-Blackbird-Cockpit-Operational-ebook/dp/B004NNUY7O/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419108990&sr=1-5&keywords=sr-71>"
by Richard H. Graham
<http://www.amazon.com/Richard-H.-Graham/e/B001IO9Q8E/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_5?qid=1419108990&sr=1-5>
,
including the politics that ended the program. I highly recommend reading
this if you have any interest in the SR-71 and the people involved in it.

> The SR stands as a tribute to the men (and women) who built and flew it.
> Those folks knew that anything worthwhile involved risk.

 Amen to that.

--
OK Don

NSA: The only branch of government that actually listens to US citizens!

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!