On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 2:02 AM, fmiser via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> > Rick wrote:
>
> > Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
> > That probably has more computing power than the Gemini, Apollo,
> > and original space shuttle combined.
>
> I'm pretty sure it also out performs the original Cray supercomputer...

"The first Cray®-1 system was installed at Los Alamos National Laboratory
in 1976 and cost $8.8 million. It boasted a world-record speed of 160
million floating-point operations per second (160 megaflops) and an 8 MB (1
million word) main memory. The architecture of the Cray-1 system reflected
its designer's penchant for bridging technical hurdles with revolutionary
ideas. In order to increase the speed of this system, it was built with a
unique "C" shape so the integrated circuits could be placed closer
together. No wire in the system was more than four feet long. To handle the
intense heat the computer generated, Cray developed an innovative
refrigeration system using Freon."

How many megaflops in a BlackBerry Z10? I didn't find an answer, but I did
find this:
http://www.walkingrandomly.com/?p=3079
which indicated that my Galaxy S3 is good for 70Mflops to around 1 Gflop,
depending on what test, and how it's run.

--
OK Don

NSA: The only branch of government that actually listens to US citizens!

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!