Curly,
     Not sure what problem you're having.  I've been running an HP2840 since
Win98 to WinXP and now Win7.  It installs better under XP if you have the
install disk which uses the web setup to install everything correctly (scanner,
fax, etc.).  Sometimes the web setup runs into conflict with your modem/router
because of the assigned address the setup wants to use for the printer.  I
don't use the scanner on Win7, but the print/copy/fax work just fine using the
Win7 Pro drivers.  Contact me off line if you want and I might be able to help
you.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale