Bought a NEW 1976 Chevette for $3600 and ran it daily until 1982, saving
enough to be able to purchase our first Mercedes (1973 280) for $4,700,
which I sold a year later for $4850.  Those were the days of inflating
European car prices...  I got $300 for the Chevette.  Only problem with
that car was that the brake shoes wore out regularly and were Expensive to
fix.