<<A fair number of early automatics were 2-speeds.  The DeSoto had a
2-speed automatic, as did the Corvair.>>

At the risk of being VanCleef-like, I will point out that Chev's Powerglide
was a 2-speed and was used more recently than you might think. Seems like I
recall that they were used even in Corvettes.

The Chrysler auto was in fact a four-speed of sorts with a clutch. Move the
lever up to what would be the 2nd gear position in a normal column shift, and a
granny first and second were available. In the   normal down position (3rd) a
starting gear and "high" resided. The clutch wasn't used unless the lever
needed to be moved, reverse for example. Other wise you'd start off in what was
really third, lift and wait for a "clonk" into top, then proceed. The GM
2-speed buses (from my grade school days) started off like an old Dynaflow,
revving
like mad, and when a certain speed was attained, would violently shift into
lockup cruising gear. I think they were all 2-cycles.

RLE