Wait, wait, wait. A 110 isn't a 110? Why is the 4 cyl 200 different from
the 6cyl 230? Is the 200 literally a shorter car? I thought they were the
same chassis, just with different engines.

EdB

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Curly McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> OK... So happens, I am in Phoenix. Also so happens, I have an 82 300SD
>> drive train [body is to be sent to scrap for terminal rust issues] ....
>>
>> Anyone ever seen a turbo, diesel, 5 cylinder finny? Could it be done
>> without making it a hatchet job to fit it all in the space?
>>

> You can't fit an OM617 in the 110 built for a 4 cyl.  Not enough space
> between the radiator and firewall.
> OM616 or OM601 will fit.  OM602 probably is too long, but I'm not sure.
>
> If you could find a model (230, 220b, 220Sb, 230S) made for a 6 cyl
> engine, then the OM602 or 603 will fit.
>
> 2 major problems you will encounter that bolt on parts are not available
> for
>
> 1.  Oil filter will have to be relocated behind the L headlight; Plate
> made for the block; 3 hoses~48"
>
> 2. Emergency brake bellcrank will interfere with GM AC compressor. York
> bracket can be used, but is a huge PITA.   Better to redesign the Emerg
> brake bellcrank and cables to allow use of the GM or Japanese compressor on
> the lower LF of the engine.
>
> On the OM616, I used the OM621 swing tube intake which allowed all the
> original air cleaner to be used.
>
> You could probably fit a 5 cyl turbodiesel VW engine in there, but that
> seems like sacrilege.
>
> One of the newish v6 turbodiesel MB engines may possible be adapted. I've
> never seen one, so no help from me.
>
> Other minor problems will be motor mounts, throttle linkage, etc.

> individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*