When we lived in Houston there was a train track across the street behind some houses. At some point the track developed a gap between rails, maybe a half inch or so. You could hear the clack-clack every time a wheel truck ran over it. I went and looked at it one day and the front rail was getting hammered pretty good and flattened out to where there was now not only a half inch gap but a half inch level difference, so the rail was also getting pounded down as the wheels dropped onto it. I went to some meeting about the crossing down the way, and the trains blowing horns, and brought this issue up with the City Powers and the train company guys (the head lawyer of which lived in our little community). They all made Concerned Noises but nothing was done about it. This went on for months.

So some time later a bunch of cars derailed and fell over and down the embankment. These were grain cars but ahead and behind them were some sort of tankers. When all the TV and cops and Official People were doing their thing, I went around asking what was in the tank cars, no one knew or no one was saying -- oil, chemicals, gasoline, whatever. I pointed out that it would have been pretty nasty if whatever that was fell over but everyone was acting really weird about it. So then I brought up that the track had been bad for ages, I had told a bunch of people about it, etc. and it got even weirder. I presume there was some sort of investigation by FRA or someone, but no one ever called me or asked about that. It was pretty clear the track separated at that gap and the cars just ran off right past it.

We had a huge rat problem, and the rotting grain stunk like crazy for the next coupla months, I and some other neighbors called the TV people again and the train co came out and cleaned up, spread some dirt and deodorizer or soemthing. But no one ever brought up the track maintenance issue...

--R