So, I posed this question to our guides in Patagonia in the Torres del Paine park in Chile. The mountains there are 4000ish feet high which is more than a kilometer, call it 1.5km. They told us the mountains were under a km of ice, so that makes that the ice was 2.5ish km thick (above current ground level, would have been a lot higher when the sea level was lower because of the snow/ice had a lot of water locked up), call it 7-8000 ft thick, could have been quite a bit more. That ice, except for the Great Southern Ice Sheet up in the mountains, is gone and the climate/weather there is sorta like Colorado, warm in summer, cold in winter.

The guides were going on about climate change and global warming, so I asked why 2km of ice melted starting 10,000 years ago or whenever -- there were no power plants or SUVs at that time, and humans were just starting to move over to the Americas, and certainly not way down to El Fin del Mundo. They sorta locked up and dropped the subject and I didn't press it.

Note that this expresses no opinion one way or the other on the subject discussed below, but I have not seen an answer to this question. I am wondering if global warming climate change disruption also caused the ice age, but it certainly was not anthropogenic. Then if a big volcano or two lets off, well then you got some pretty serious global cooling.

--R