On Mar 9, 2015 11:42 AM, "Max Dillon via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> 2004 - 06 were the last straight six diesel engines, cars sold in the US
after that have V6 engines.

> I'd prefer the straight six, I think that design has proven itself to be
very robust.  I think the V6 engines are less dependable, but I don't have
any data to back that up.

> I also have the impression that the straight six is easier to work on.
The V6 has the turbo buried between the cylinder banks.
> --

An inline six is almost always preferable to a V6, cetaris paribus, but I
haven't found the V6 OM642 to be bad at all as far as maintenance is
concerned. The turbo is right up top (which is good since the inlet pipe
airways leaks oil), along with the fuel and oil filters, and there is
plenty of room to work at the front. The air filter arrangement is a little
goofy, though.

The V6 also comes with normal brakes and the 7 speed transmission, and the
general updates that came with the facelift in '07, but still has 16"
wheels.

Fuel economy is not as good with the V6 due to the more restrictive diesel
particulate filter. Also it requires hard-to-find 229.52 oil to keep the
filter happy. No diesel smoke either; not sure if that is a bug or a
feature.

I couldn't find an '05-'06 worth buying and my Bluetec was a low mile Okie
creampuff so the choice was easy for me.

Tom
07 E320 Bluetec
02 Volvo V70 XC all new parts yesterday