rogerhga--- via Mercedes wrote:
My Indie thought I was crazy (maybe I am), but he didn't see how a product
could fix both hard shifting and slipping as they are at somewhat opposite ends
of the problem scale.

I've actually got three things going on:

1. Won't downshift into first when in overdrive, and as it gets worse, won't always shift into first from reverse. Still works fine in drive, and in overdrive as long as you shift back into drive while you're still going over 30mph. This is a sticking piston, I've heard it's plastic and gets bent after 150k or so. Mine started doing it at about 180k.

2. Hard shift into 2nd. I this is a worn clutch pack but I'm not sure.
Don't expect magic chemicals to fix it.

3. Doesn't always lock the converter at freeway speeds. This one throws a code, so the computer is trying to lock it but it just doesn't happen.

4. I just remembered one more. In real cold weather, there were a couple of times it didn't want to go forward or backward for the first 30-60 seconds.
Makes me wonder how much of 1-3 is from a weak pump.

I have a good used valve body, complete with pump and all solenoids including the TQ solenoid. I figure that when I have the time to put that in, everything but the slow hard shift into 2nd should go away.

Now Curt has me thinking. The Lucas has a definite odor, but is it ATF-like or weakly like gear oil? It doesn't smell as strong as gear oil. I guess it's been a few years since I sniffed a fresh bottle of 85W-90 or dino ATF. It's way thicker than pancake syrup, whatever is in it.

Mitch.