Dan wrote:   "I've pretty much decided it's a W140 or nothing, so the E55 is
out the window.  I've put searches in for W140s in Tulsa, OK City and
Charleston.  If I see anything pop up I'll be in touch.  Sadly, the initial
searches yielded pretty much nothing.  I'm still at a loss to figure out why
W140s are so hard to find..."

I feel your pain!  I have been on the search for either a 97-99 S Class (just
like you) or another 7 series BMW.    I did finally strike gold!   Yesterday I
bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 115,000 miles -- 2 owner. The first had it for 8
years and the second for 6 years.  The seller has only put on 25,000 in the
last 6 years.  During that time he also had the 100,000 mile service done at
the BMW dealer and they did EVERYTHING.  Poor guy.

Anyway, I am having to have it shipped from Nashville to Wichita in an enclosed
trailer.   I am excited because it has such low miles (compared to my previous
cars).  My current BMW has 217,000 miles.

Don Snook
2000 BMW 740iL  217K
2006 Cadillac SRX (Her car)
2001 BMW 740iL  (in transit)