First of all, I don't think it was just Mercedes. I believe some other European manufacturers were attempting to meet the same standards.

I can only speak for the W140 chassis, and they were definitely affected from 1990-1995. Same period of time the AC evaporators were assembled using incompatible metals. The change was made when they did the "facelift" models, which was between 1995-96.

Dan

Self destructing wiring harnesses affected all german cars of the era. It was a mandate from the goobers in the Deutsche goobermnt.

Most of the oddies, VWs and BMW cars of the period have already been made into toadas or chinee microwaves.

However, I have not heard of BMW motorcycles of the day being affected by the same self destructing wire insulation. Perhaps the motorcycles were exempted from the requirement.