It comes down to two things:

1.) Setting limits. It's always easy to think, "Just another couple hundred
dollars and I can have this!"  That approach often ends up poorly.  While I
certainly understand that reaching beyond expectations for a one-time deal or
something that far exceeds what I was really looking for is a possibility, I
try to stick to my guns when I set a price limit.  Doing otherwise is a
decision you're going to deal with every time you see the car and get behind
the wheel.  I don't care for that kind of angst, thank you.

2.) The willingness to walk away.  Just as we spoke about this recently with
someone's car purchase (Rich?) the willingness to walk away is a strong
incentive for the motivated seller. Will the "Goodfellows" guy come back and
meet my price? Maybe. Knowing we were within $300 dollars has got to be a
motivation for him, especially if he's serious about selling. If so, he'll call
me back. If not, I know where I stand and am comfortable in my decision as to
the value of the car (to me.). If I decide to relent later I now know his
price, if he's willing to sell at that point.

There's a really good book on negotiating that I read some years back. I was
also sent to the course the author still teaches, I believe.  It's called,
"Negotiate to Close" by Alex Karras.  Lots of really good information that can
be applied to many different situations.

Dan

Sent from my iPad