To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Bike rider, loud pipes

Actually, loud pipes let cars (mostly driven by blithering idiots who fail
to see anything smaller than a Suburban) know you're there. A friend had an obnoxiously loud bike (he bought it that way, wasn't trying to say "look at
me") could hear him for about 3/4 of a mile away - he stated that cars
stayed away from him, even moving to the other side of their lane as he
passed.  I know if I rode a bike, I'd want that kind of situation - not
being seen usually has disastrous results when you don't have a frame around
you.