So I go to install TurboTax on my mac, it goes through all the motions then tells me I need MacOS 10.7.5 Thanks for that, I'm sure it is using some crucial features of the new OS and my 10.6.n just doesn't cut it. I have avoided downloading the new versions of MacOs because then I would have to spend another $50 on a new version of Parallels to run Winders and who knows what other apps it will kill.

It looks like it will run on Winders, all the way from XP up to whatever the current flavor is (but not an earlier version of MacOS), so I guess I need to install TT in a Winders instance, then try to figure out how to get it to see my older tax files and whatever.

Sigh...  I really hate computers and software companies now.

--R

Agree. We have 10.5 and 10.6. Neither is very old, especially compared to XP. Most of the interactive websites won't run on safari, and chrome and firefox demand a newer OS. That seems antithetical to me.

I'm guessing that Apple is playing uncles sam and threatening to withhold some kind of goodies($) if the software companies make the software compatible with 10.6 and before!

It was not long ago that Mac software supported 68040 processors. Most of this is done by breaking the software, rather than any true incompatibility.

Old as computing. Back in the 60s if you wanted your IBM to run twice as fast, you paid millions to IBM, then some guy would come in, snip a wire and presto! your machine was twice as fast!

The banks all want to make you go online for a statement, everyone wants you to pay bills online. Both are VERY risky. Then they force you to buy a new computer if you want your bill or statement.

I did get opera on the 10.5 machine (thanks Mitch) last night, but it would still not work with the website SWMBO has to log into to print her pay stub. I finally got it to work with chrome on 10.6.

Intuit in the beginning was Mac friendly, then they were extremely mac unfriendly. Then the bean counters figured out they were missing all this revenue, so the programmers made a crippled up mac version and charged as much for it.

Don't get me started on all the ways intuit rips you off with their quickbooks!