On this day in 1865 the United States flag was once again raised over Ft. Sumter in Charleston harbor to mark the end of the Second War of Independence. President Lincoln, unable to attend, sent a letter marking the occasion. The president sent his secretary John G. Nicolay.

That evening, he went to the theater.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150414/PC1002/150419716/1021/april-14-1865-city-and-nation-forever-changed

--R