Thanks for sharing Rich. My grandfather was an officer on USS Morris in the south Pacific during WW2. Right after he was transferred off the ship, a kamikaze attack killed all officers but one and many of the rest of the crew. They were able to keep the ship afloat, but ultimately she had to be scrapped.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

My uncle was on the USS Franklin. He never talked about it. Within a couple years of his death, I asked him directly what ships he was on. He said he was on the USS Franklin. Years later I found out it was a carrier. My uncle was a welder and steamfitter, originally from Dayton, TN. He had a Navy surplus backpack acetylene torch kit. After my aunt died, one of my cousins said they found hundreds of pictures of twisted steel and dead bodies and parts.

On my first trip to the Naval Air Museum, I found the library and spent a few hours there trying to research the ship and my uncle. It is quite a story. I have never been able to find my uncle's service record, and there don't appear to be complete crew listings anywhere available. The pictures and the information about the CV13 fit together. I am guessing that my uncle stayed with the ship at least until it reached New York. I surmise that he was a welder/steamfitter on the ship and that he used the backpack torches to free survivors on the ship after the bomb and kamikaze attacks, then took pictures when he was relieved.

See:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/423719

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppHvb93KUIc

I also received a DVD from the folks at the Naval Air Museum of a home movie made of a show on the TV about the Franklin from the 1960s. It was from NBC or CBS. It is an interesting documentary. I learned much about the ship from that movie.

I'd like to get my cousin to scan and donate the pictures to the Naval Air Museum. I don't think they know the historical value of the pictures.