Tom Scordato wrote:

> So we should not give out tickets when peoples mufflers go bad?

Enforcement seems to be waning. In the 1960's a friend had
a Honda CL450 with removeable baffles. He had a buddy ride it
from Detroit to Kalamazoo, the buddy pulled the baffles, got
a ticket, and wanted the bike's owner to pay it.

I've seen a lot of straight piped Harleys in the last 20 years,
never heard of one getting a ticket.
I loaned my Citation to my brother for one day back in 1986, he
brought it back with no muffler. I had it replaced with a straight
pipe and drove it for three more years, but it had a GM pellet type
catalytic converter and wasn't all that loud.
I intend to find out what happens when you put a 3" straight pipe on
a 190D, the turbo will cut the sound a bit.