should see the list of parts they put on it - including calipers, brake
hoses, assorted brackets, and front wheel bearings. Why would the wheel
bearings have to be replaced?  Isn't that unusual?

If they replaced the rotor they were already all the way there
to the bearings.  They may have looked not-so-good, or he may
have (directly or indirectly) told them to "make it new".  Or
the heat from the dragging brake ruined the seals and/or lube.

There is a guy on ebay selling complete fuse packs for Mercedes.  He
says his fuses are all brass rather than aluminum.  Is this a bogus
claim of superiority.  I haven't looked at my fuses in a while, but I
thought they about half of them were copper. What gives?

The aluminum (?) ones 'rot', in that with time some kind of corrosion
or mechanical failure causes them to crystallize and get flakey.  It
is the main reason behind the "replace all the fuses" mantra.
The brass ones last longer without trouble, that's all.

-- Jim