Does your electric co have a solar option now? SC just passed the law a year or so ago allowing home solar systems to tie into the grid and now various companies are doing leases with no upfront costs. Not too many in yet but those who have done them report they are saving money on electricity what with the panels and sell-back to the utility. If you have 200ft2 of good clear roof space, and whatever on your house, you could probably get by with solar and batteries, unless of course the storms destroy your panels... in which case you would need some fuel-based generation anyway. You would have to look at demand on your HVAC to see what solar/battery could do.

As far as the water pump, any small generator could get that thing running, HF or not.

BTW I had a very nice expensive Milwaukee battery drill blow up in my face once while up about 25ft on a ladder working on a gutter. THAT was a fun experience, I seriously thought someone had shot me. I contacted Milwaukee and they were all over that like a duck on a frog, fedexed a new battery pack and a box to send mine back in. Sometime later I saw there was a recall on the batteries for explosion hazards. NiCd or NiMH, I forget which, tended to generate hydrogen into the closed battery pack and a good load would cause an arc and BAM! I took my 2 back for replacements, never had any problems with them other than they pretty much failed after not long. With HF stuff I figure if it has more than one moving part it will fail sooner rather than later. That said, I have had a $20 recip saw I have beat on extensively and it is still going strong. The $200 tile saw is pretty decent too, no problems with it.

--R