M189 (W109 1965-67) and the M198 (gullwing) share several parts and
designs.  I can confirm, at least, the water pump is the same part, for
example.  I never bothered to compare much else in the EPC. but if you
examine both closely you can see many shared deigns.

Jaime

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Peter Frederick via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> There is no relationship between a W109 and the Gullwing other than they
> used a mechanical injection pump for fuel delivery, I don't think even the
> pump is the same.
>
> The Gullwing engine wasn't used all that much, it was very expensive to
> manufacture, and difficult to maintain (the injection nozzles were in the
> block, aimed at the spark plugs) and Benz added the fuel injection to more
> normal engines intended for road use, not a sliced down aircraft engine.
>
> Not that the original engine wasn't a marvel, it was just not a great
> production engine.
>
> No suspension parts, either, to the best of my knowledge.  I believe,
> although I could easily be wrong, that the SL had a fully independent rear
> end (I will see my buddy Hans tomorrow, I can ask, he worked on them)
> rather than a swing axle.  Front end on the SL I don't know about.  The
> W109 had kingpins and a two control arms, but so did everything Benz made
> at that time, at least until the W115 replaced the kingpin with ball
> joints.  Geometry was improved in 1962 to change the kingpin axis and
> reduce scrub while increasing caster, some minor changes in the W115 on
> those lines as well.  Nothing exciting except in comparison to US road iron
> of the day, all of which drove like log wagons.
>
> The SL had a space frame, with body panels attached, and working on it was
> pure hell -- a good deal of the rear frame had to be removed to get to the
> rear axle.  Every Benz designed after 1950 has a unibody.
>
> I don't see all that much Gullwing in the W108/9 -- it was an old design
> by 1968, dating from the 1950s.  Nice cars, but I like the W126 MUCH more.
>
> Peter

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/