Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:

With the old gasket and the old old gasket removed the new gasket fit perfect
and sealed as it should. We even bought new blades for the mower which now
actually cuts the grass rather than just pounding it out of the way...

Reminds me of the first time I changed the oil in my new to me 1979 1/2 Chevy Citation. Penzoil filter (from Penzoil oil change franchise) was a real bear to unscrew, like it was seriously overtorqued. (the original owner lived in Lansing and worked in a GM plant in Detroit, so it couldn't have been on the car very long, IIRC he changed oil every 3000 miles)

Left a long trail of oil on the concrete backing the car out of the garage.
Checked the old oil filter, no seal on it. Took off the new filter, it had a seal on it and another one loose between block and filter.

That was 30 years ago. I still carefully inspect every old spin-on filter before putting the new one on the engine. IIRC I've had the seal stick to the block one other time in my life, also from a filter that was on the car when I bought it.
I suspect it happens when you don't oil the seal before installing the filter.

Mitch.