You gotta watch out -- some of the baskets sorta look nice to the tourists but
aren't well made like a true artist does ( and there are a few of them around
and their baskets are mighty spendy). My wife, unfortunately, has learned the
discernment...

Miss Betsy she set up in de ro up dere n sell dem Gullah basket she make to dem
rich whifolks come Keewaw.  I axed her to makes me a sweet grass whip doon yo
know wun day n she dun mades dat fo me but she done tows me not tell nobody
wheah dat cames fum cawza dem ladies up dere in mount pleasant dey gits real
upset peoples be doon dat kinda thing. I makes only dat wun fo you but you cain
be upsettin dem ladies you know. It ain right.

Dem ladies gots da law fo dem to sell dem baskets in da ro dere you knows,
bunch a dem ladies dun wents up dere clumya on de bus an sats down wif da gubna
Sanfuh he name and tells himself da law say dey can sets up an sell dem Gullah
baskets dere in de ro an he says you ladies right bout dat you go on sells yo
baskets dere in de ro ain nobody gone botha you. So we does n ain nobody be
botha us cause dey knows whut de gubna he say bout dat an it bein da law.
Ummmhmmm.

--R (sent from my miniPad)

On May 31, 2015, at 8:42 PM, Max Dillon via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>