I hit the HF tool sale and got myself a low end gasless MIG welder to learn on.
 Wire feed and the cheapo auto darkening mask.  I read the instructions to see
what this thing can do.  Those instructions are big on safety, but not on
actually how to run the rig.

I went to the hardware store to get a hardi panel so I could have a welding
table.  There were too many metal or wooden tables for me to use, but the
manual was pretty adamant that I have concrete to set things on.  So far it
works fairly well.

I have a few old computer cases that donated their covers for the day I am
versed in welding enough to repair the floors in the 300D.  Today, I learned
that I need a hat to keep the slag from jumping onto the back of my head.  I
could not get a decent bead using the PC carcasses and was getting a bunch of
blow through.  I moved up to old brake rotors and was able to get a decent
enough bead, but it still looks like crap.   Sun was out and after 40 minutes
or getting a hang for the machine, I had to head inside.

I will be looking for a better set of welding wear so I can keep from setting
myself on fire.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers