I got myself into a project that I should have walked away from but since I am into it, I am not giving it up. I did offer it up for sale or trade but no one came looking so maybe they were smarter than me. Time will tell. I bought, for little money, an antique woodworking multi-machine. It had a 12" table saw intending mostly for ripping, an 8" jointer and a 22" band saw in one machine.
It is old enough to be flat belt so pretty old.
I decided that the band saw was the only desirable part so I dismantled it to the point where I have only the band saw left on the frame. I then wanted to cut the frame down to a smaller size. If my memory is reasonably accurate, the frame will end up about 24" square. The frame has 2 cast end frames and pipes that join the two ends. The pipes go through holes in the end frames. They are held in place by set screws in the end frames and by lead melted in to the frame to fill any voids around the pipe. I melted the lead out of the holes on the one frame with a propane torch so that I could remove the one end frame. Then cut the pipes down by a foot or more to make a more compact frame unit. There are 4 pipes through the end frame sides and 2 angle iron pieces on the top.
My issue now, is that I want to refill the voids with melted lead.
I tipped the unit on end so that the parts I wanted to melt into were down.
I clamped a piece of plywood on the end of the one spot and melted solder into the gap between the pipe and the frame. Not a large gap. Probably 1/8th at the widest. Unfortunately, it did not work out well. I need some means of plugging the end better. The plywood did not fit tight to the pipe end - only to the frame end. The solder went into the end of the pipe and when it had burned the plywood enough to make a hole, flowed out. I ended up with a bit of a lead plug that fell out of the end of the pipe when I removed the plywood. I can use a piece of steel in place of the plywood so that it will not burn through but I need some means of plugging the end of the pipe so that the solder will just fill the void around the pipe.

Any great ideas?
Muffler cement??

RB