I would imagine the HF unit is basically a Chinese copy of my Lincoln HandyMig.
Mine has provision for shielding gas but I've never set it up, the bottle would
be decidedly un-handy, I'd need a cart for the thing, blah blah.I think I paid
$250 or so for mine and its been worth the money. I burn through about 5# of
wire a year. I've also been lucky to have some time on multi-thousand dollar
Miller machines with shielding gas and while those are fantastic I'm not
dissatisfied with my machine.The trick is that I tend to end up using much more
wire speed than I think I need and counter-intuitively sheet metal usually
requires more wire speed. When welding heavier stuff I end up using the same
wire speed or a little less, I turn the heat up and just move slower which
gives the penetration needed. This was hard for me to learn after I'd taught
myself how to do sheet metal.
Theres definitely an art to it and since I haven't welded in 3 or 4 months I
know the next time I try it'll take me an hour or so to get the feel back. I
find for me moving the torch in little circles is the key to preventing burn
through. I generally push the puddle although I've had some success dragging
it, mostly when welding upside down like on a car floor.
Remember that the coating on the wire will absorb water. A new spool of wire is
so nice which is why I only buy 5# at a time. My machine will handle a 20#
spool but it'd be gross by the time I got to the end. I *think* you could dry
it back out if you put it in a box with an incandescent bulb for a couple hours
but I've yet to try it...
After I burned (and scarred) the inside of my elbow last fall Angie bought me a
welding shirt that has leather arms. Its not the height of fashion buts nice to
have that safety.

-Curt