Yes,  I had the top bolt for a new strut (no more double nuts) loosen on a 124.

It may be time for struts and bearings also.

Can the top strut mounts be a source of play, and produce a knock/click? If I back up and brake, then go forward and brake (while parking, for instance), I get a distinct single knock.

I also have play when pulling/pushing on the top of each front wheel, but no play at the 9 & 3 o'clock position.

New: inner bushings, sway bar bushings, drag link and right tie rod assembly, ball joints.

I think the struts and mounts haven't been replaced since I bought the car.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC