I did it...

http://www.jaimekop.com/ebay/300D/

I wouldn't bother changing the diff, the top gear ratio of the 4 speed is
the same as the auto box, so your highway gearing won't change.  Unless you
live in a very flat area, a taller geared 240D isn't a good idea.  (I've
had several 240Ds and drove them for years, so I speak from experience.)

The conversion isn't difficult really.  The only custom part I needed was
the drive shaft, but if you're swapping from another 240D that won't be an
issue for you.  Everything bolted up and plugged in, even the reverse light
switch.

Getting the pedal cluster out isn't even that bad, as I saw you mention
early.  Its much worse in a W111/112... I just spent a hour getting one
bolt out for the brake master cylinder on a 63 300SE.  Not fun.

Good luck,
Jaime

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Curly McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> anyone here that has already done a conversion from auto trans to manual
> in a 123?
>
> I am wondering about  putting in a 300D diff also to allow lower RPM at
> highway speeds.  Kinda a poboy overdrive.  I won't be able to find or
> afford a 5 speed.
>
> Patient is an 81 123 240D.

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/