VW auto stick shift is the VW analog to the MB hydrak. there's a reason nobody runs em now. Jon just tolja.

I have a '67 Beetle, and I will tell you that the heat and defrost work just fine if the hoses and controls are connected correctly. Of course I only drive it from April to October. The auto-stick is another matter: I had one around 1980-82 time frame, and it was the bad. Slushy and anemic, it robbed a lot of power from the engine, and needed constant attention.

Jon