Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
Yeah, what little I found around the inter web suggests that the pleated paper
filters aren't up for the change intervals and as a result the media breaks
down and fails. Also saw some comments about the fleece, particulate size, and
compatibility with synthetic oils. Interesting.

My S420 is having bouncing oil pressure gauge issues.
I hope it's just the sending unit.
I changed the oil this weekend, and the NAPA filter I took out was no longer round. Not busted, just collapsed a bit. IIRC, it had about 3k mi on i.

I suppose it's time to take the valve covers off and see if any valve oilers have lost their end caps. (Or is that only the aluminum ones? Mine are plastic)

Mitch.