Curly McLain wrote:
> I was also surprised that veetnam has an airline and that they buy
> Boeing, not rooskie or airbus.   I guess when you get right down to
> it, they don't wanna die either!  They must make a lot of money
> tanning hides there.
China’s Deployment of Oil Rig near Vietnam

"......one could argue that China’s current move will further push Vietnam into
the arms of the U.S., thereby possibly creating an anti-China coalition in East
Asia including Japan, the Philippines, and maybe others...."

http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/chinas-deployment-of-oil-rig-is-not-a-strategic-mistake/
G: Vietnam is worried about Chinas expansion in the local waters so they want
to buy U.S. weapons, and hopefully secure a powerful ally.

"....Vietnam says it wants to be able to buy weapons from the United States.
As relations between the US and Vietnam warm, the US is moving closer to
lifting a ban on lethal arms exports applied after the communist victory in the
Vietnam war.
Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh said it had been nearly 20
years since Washington and Hanoi normalised relations, and so it was "abnormal"
to retain the ban..."

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1600061/china-has-nothing-worry-about-vietnam-asks-us-end-arms-embargo
G: It's interesting that not long ago Vietnam was our bitter enemy, and now it
may become our military ally.

In a similar way, during the early Iraq occupation, the Sunnis were our friends
and the Shiites were our enemies.
Now, the Shiites are our friends and the Sunnis are our enemies.