      From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 3:12 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] hey WILTON

Sadly, the failure was not mysterious.
Target totally misjudged the Canadian market.
They assumed that we were like the USA and would flock to Target once
they opened. They did not fully appreciate the foothold that WalMart
already has here.
Apparently (it is not obvious to me but I don't spend much time in
either store so what do I know?) in the USA, Target is considered
up-market from WalMart.
Target assumed that the middle class and up would abandon WalMart in
favour of Target.
It did not happen. Target opened too many stores all at once and did not
have a supply network able to stock them. Their stores did not have
enough stock and much of what they did have was not of obvious quality.
Many people went to Target once, looked around, and did not go back. I
did not even go once. My wife went, told me it was a lost cause, and did
not go back. I listened to her and did not bother to go there. I go to
WalMart around here about once a year. I go to a WalMart in Grand Forks
ND several times a year and mostly buy M1 oil.
So, the MBA's who drove the Target bus into Canada were not doing their
homework and should have been fired for what they did.

RB