Actually, it is normal in this climate.  I found on several occasions where the
car was parked for 3-4 days (or more) that condensation would sometimes collect
in the distributor caps, but a good hard drive would burn it out.  This was
especially common when my son had the car at school, as the parking structure
he parked the car in was a block from the waters of Tampa Bay. This, coupled
with the temperature swings and humidity, added to being parked in a shaded
area on concrete, created condensation on and under the car regularly.

The caps aren’t tightly sealed, and being at the front of the engine and in the
airflow to some extent don’t get terribly hot compared to the rest of the
engine compartment.

Numerous references to the same on the W140 Benzworld forums, too. Here is just
one example of many:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2300802-distributor-cap-question.html#post11537146

The amount of condensate was very small, but it was enough to affect the spark.

Dan