The thing that made the Cold War work for both sides, what the element of
"mutually assured distruction" .. Simply put.. if either side started, both
sides had enough nukes and the means to deliver them that all life would
have been deleted from the face of the earth.

So.. bravado aside.. Gen LeMay knew he wasn't going to get that order.. and
his Russian counterpart knew it as well.. but both had to take the sabers
out and rattle them regularly to keep the "military / Industrial Complex"
fully employed.

Regan made a gutsy and brilliant move with his "star wars" plan, It drove
the Russians to bankruptsy trying to out guess [and steal] technology that
did not actually exist, but was close enough to "almost there" to make them
believe USA was capable of neutralizing any of their weapons delivery,
which tipped the balance that had been in place for decades..

However.. now we are headed down the same road to snatch defeat from the
jaws of victory, through gross financial mismanagement.