When I was rebuilding Miller “buzz boxes” during tech school we used 1/2" steel
plate scraps to test them out.  That stuff is fun to weld with a stick welder
that puts out 400 amps.

Our fabrication guy used to win bar bets welding two pieces of aluminum foil
together with a Miller wire feed welder.  The crazy bastard could do it, too.

Dan