A lot later than the 40's; I flew 'em on airborne alert in '64 - '66; last ones were on airborne alert in '68; 'stopped after B-52 crash and loss of nukes at Thule, Greenland, in '68..

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "archer75--- via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: <arche...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] American policy

When the U.S. was flying nuclear bombs to the borders of the USSR and then turning back at the last minute during the late '40s, General Curt LeMay said we should keep right on going to Russian targets and nuke the communists back to the stone age. I wonder what the world would be like nowadays if someone had given that command?
Gerry

Rich Thomas wrote:
I say we take off an nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

On 6/13/15 7:28 PM, archer75--- via Mercedes wrote:
> "....America won the Cold War in large part because the Russians knew > that American avionics would give NATO control of the air in any > prospective war; that the Pershing missiles in Germany and Italy gave > NATO an advantage in any prospective nuclear exchange; and that the > Reagan Strategic Defense Initiative portended a new range of > technologies that Russia couldn’t match. China looked on from a > distance and aligned itself with the dominant technological superpower.
>
> If America wants to command China’s respect, it has to widen the > technology gap, rather than watch it shrink. If China believed that its > weapons systems were ineffective against American countermeasures, it > would show far more caution. But the opposite is true: the technology > gap is closing, and China knows it. America still has a technological > lead and the resources to widen it–should it choose to do so. There is > no obvious political constituency for such an effort though, and no > prominent leader commited to doing so. A return to the > Eisenhower-Kennedy-Reagan commitment to American technological > superiority would also have enormously beneficial effects for America’s > lagging productivity. But it is hard to persuade Americans that it is > better to be tough than to sound tough.
>
> Asia Times

-----
No virus found in this message.