I actually read the destructions that came with the zapper.  I followed the set
up to the letter and even made sure the wheels were in the proper orientation
for the wire I was using.  There are no teeth to the wheels that would provide
decent bite.  Just some knurling like you would find on a dime in the grooves.
I have the tension adjusted almost to the point of strangling the wire.  It
does not speed up or make the wire feed properly.

I am thinking the low speed setting is actually in Dummy mode.  Since there is
no adjustment for heat, just speed, it could be a failsafe.   The lowest speeds
must be regulated in such a manner that using it on thin sheet metal would not
allow it to function long enough to burn through.  Maybe it is set to feed
tacks so you do not overheat and warp.  Sort of forcing you to start and stop
against your will.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers