Win 7 is no issue, you just need to get Steve Nervig's web front-end for
the CD's, follow the directions to copy the CD's to appropriate place on
your HD and then create a shortcut in Firefox that points to Steve's
menu-launch hyperlink.

Downloads and more info here:

http://www.mercedeslist.com/serviceindex.html

Could be OVP relay getting flaky, or the electronic idle control solenoid
(ELR) on the back of the injection pump, or engine harness wiring is
detiorating.  There is a two-pin connect to the ELR which is hanging on the
back-end of the IP, try pulling that off to see if that clears the
symptoms.  That should cause your idle speed to drop to the mechanical
adjustment, which is supposed to be set around 550 RPM.  You can manually
increase that to whatever you like.  My idle used to be really rough, I
pulled off that ELR connector and adjusted the idle speed up to about 750
and ten years later that fix is still working fine for me.

Max
Charleston SC