> On June 18, 2015 at 8:21 PM archer75--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> The situation doesn't seem to be quite like you describe it, Grant:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power#Parabolic_trough

I remember an article in Popular Science in the 70s or 80s.
Some guy had made a parabolic solar heating reflector system with some kind of
two axis tracking, said to be simple and reliable.
The dish was something like 8-10' in diameter, and it made very hot water at the
focal point.

I used to think of doing something with mirrors to increase the efficiency of
solar panels, but now that they're down around $1 a watt it doesn't seem like
such a good idea to spend extra money to make them hotter for a little extra
power. I bet if you used a couple of mirrors to double or triple the solar flux
you'd seriously lower the panel's life.

Mitch.