Hi Meade,
You can easily bypass the fader switch... In earlier cars (which I'm
familiar with) the fader switch wiring harness has connections to the rear
speakers in the center console.  If you work with the wire, you can stretch
them up to the radio.  No need to run new wires to the rear.  I run new
wiring to the fronts, since the factory wiring is part of the factory fader
harness.  Normally I do this with out cutting anything (I have lots of the
male factory speaker connectors, and access to the original crimp tool for
them) so I can return the car to original.

The original style speaker connectors are labeled + and - if you look very
carefully at the plastic pieces.

Good luck!
Jaime

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Meade Dillon via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Jaime,
>
> The aftermarket Sony radio in my '87 wagon finally died, and whomever
> installed it really hacked up the factory wiring.  Some of the original
> connectors appear to be there, I found two.  Looks like the factory radio
> should have been a Becker Grand Prix, model 754.
>
> I've got a spare Becker 1492, which I'd like to install.  This afternoon I
> went by a local pick-n-pull and from a W202 I cut the radio connectors and
> about a foot of the factory wiring, so I have connectors that fit into the
> back of the 1492 including the CD changer port.
>
> Q1: What to do with the nearly-dead fader switch in the center console?
> Should I bypass, or bite the bullet and get a new fader switch.  If bypass,
> have you got a wiring diagram?  I have already tried a thorough cleaning
> with De-Ox-It, which helped a little, but it is still pretty miserable.
>
> Q2: The 1492 has a connection port for a CD changer, but I have no such
> thing in the wagon.  Have you a wiring diagram so I can make an aux input
> connection?

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/