R-12 is still easily available.. it just requires a license to buy it.
My supplier here will sell any amount I want as long as I flip out the
license and sign the form that says I'm EPA Certified to install it.

Well.. that and cleared by my bank to write the check for it.. it ain't
cheap.

License exam can be done online.. takes 2 hrs or less to study up for it..
maybe 20 minutes to take the exam, file it.. etc etc..

Availability may vary in your state, ie California, for example..