Corporate rules required that we fly business class on any travel over 8 hours
total air time.  That meant that any time I left the USA I was flying business
class.  I could also control who I booked on, so since most of my travel was to
Asia and the Middle East I stuck with Northwest and KLM - KLM was a mandatory
for security reasons, we couldn’t use any other carriers to the Middle East
with the exception of El Al, who, of course, had a limited number of
destinations in that part of the world.

Since NWA and KLM code shared and were partners, I was able to corral my miles
into one big honking account.  This was also back in the day where NWA issued a
20,000 mile voucher for every 20k you earned, good for one domestic airfare in
the US.  You could “stack” them to use for upgrades and international travel as
well.  Because they could be endorsed over, there was a very brisk secondary
market for them, too.

I think I sold six or eight of them in a lump to a ticket broker the year we
built our house in Port Washingon, WI for something like $5,000.  They were
good for two first class trips to Europe at that amount, I believe.

I made Platinum every year I flew, and back then getting first class upgrades
was pretty easy and automatic for Platinum members. I don’t think I flew coach
for 6-7 years straight.  My international travel kept me in first class on all
my domestic flights, which really made it nice.

747s were configured differently for different carriers.  NWA and KLM had
business class on the upper deck and first class in the nose.  That was nice,
as it kept all the riff-raff from wandering through the cabin and having to
have the flight attendants shoo them out.

Dan who doesn’t care to travel at all now….